Michael Alig the Party Monster to Be Released on Parole May 5

Alig parole Angel Melendez FreezeMichael Alig has been sitting in prison for the past 17 years following the murder and dismemberment of Andre “Angel” Melendez. However, the party monster, Michael Alig is soon going to be a free man, once more, as he is scheduled to be released on parole come May 5.

Alig was once dubbed the “party monster” because he tore up the club scene in the 90s, but in the end, a monster is exactly what he turned out to be. After getting into an argument with friend and drug dealer Andre “Angel” Melendez, Alig and another friend Robert “Freeze” Riggs silenced Melendez forever when they viciously murdered him in March 1996.

Less than a month later, Melendez’s torso washed up on shore in Staten Island. A year later, after confiding in friends about the murder and dismemberment, Alig was arrested. On the same day, shortly following Alig’s arrest, Freeze was also hauled in to the police station. Within hours, Freeze cracked, confessing to his involvement in the murder of Melendez.

In a written confession, Freeze detailed what happened on the day of the murder. He said he overheard a loud argument between Alig and Melendez and then heard something like glass breaking. When he went to see what was going on, he observed that Melendez had the upper hand in the argument and he had Alig pinned down. Alig asked Freeze to help him and to get Melendez off him, but Melendez told him to get before shaking Alig violently. At that point, Freeze jumped in to help Alig, but instead of just grabbing Melendez and tossing him aside, Freeze hit him in the head with a hammer. On the third blow, he went down.

Once Melendez was down, Alig had his turn. First, he strangled Melendez and then suffocated him with a pillow before pouring what Freeze described as a cleaning chemical into his mouth and duct taping it shut.  After stripping Melendez down to his underwear, Alig and Freeze drug his body to the bathroom and put him in the tub where he stayed for 5 to 7 days.

At that point, Alig told Freeze they needed to clean up their mess. Alig worked out a deal with Freeze saying he would handle this part of the clean up if he would give him 10 bags of heroin. Freeze agreed. Alig cut both of Melendez’s legs off and stuffed them in a duffel bag. He duct taped the torso in garbage bags and stuffed it into a cardboard. A few hours later, Alig and Freeze carried the box and duffel bag downstairs, hopped in a cab, drove to a bridge, and disposed of the body in the Hudson River.

It is unclear what Alig and Melendez were arguing about on that faithful Sunday in March 1996. However, based on their prior history, it was most likely something to do with drugs. At the time of his murder, Melendez and Alig were roommates and Alig had a bad habit of using Melendez’s drug when he was out of the house.

Alig has been up for parole since 2007, but until now has been denied. However, at the last parole hearing, his parole was granted. In less than a month, on May 5, Michael Alig, the party monster will be released on parole. He is already talking about partying when he gets out of prison so it will be interesting to see if he goes back to his old ways. For now, he admits that he is afraid of his Karma, what goes around comes around, and killing Melendez was a terrible thing.

Opinion By Donna W. Martin


NY Post
Dangerous Minds
Hollywood Reporter

2 Responses to "Michael Alig the Party Monster to Be Released on Parole May 5"

  1. mike   May 1, 2014 at 3:15 pm

    why are you using a stolen image of mine that is copy written of Alig ? please contact me mfazak@att.net

  2. grammercy   April 22, 2014 at 6:21 am

    How was that Sunday in march faithful? Church going boys? I think you meant fate full


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.