Ebola Reaction Shows Chaos

Mr. Barclay Berdan, CEO of the parent organization of Dallas’ Presbyterian Hospital where two nurses have contracted Ebola from Thomas Eric Duncan who passed away there has apologized for chaos shown by the clinic’s reaction to the savage infection. Barclay Berdan, CEO Texas Health Resources, offers apology in a full-page letter distributed in Sunday’s edition of The Dallas Morning News and the Post Worth Star-Telegram.

In the letter, Berdan much appreciated the staff at Texas Wellbeing Presbyterian Healing center for their “dedication, compassion, and tireless work “as an institution, we made mistakes in handling this very difficult challenge.” Among those mix-ups is clinical staff not imparting that Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan had as of late set out to Texas from Africa when he made his first visit to the emergency room on the night of Sept. 25. Berdan additionally says that the medical center’s Ebola preparations and instructions for Ebola had not been completely set at the time of Duncan’s visit. “In short, despite our best intentions and skilled medical teams, we did not live up to the high standards that are the heart of our hospital’s history, mission and commitment,” Berdan said.

Berdan’s letter comes after it was uncovered that the Presbyterian Hospital did not at first keep a watch roster of staff that may have had contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, and had asked medical attendants to self-monitor for temperature and report potential signs of Ebola. Mr. Berdan promised as they learn more from their investigations of both how the staffers were infected and the death of patient Duncan, they will share their findings with the CDC; state, county, and local representatives; and other medical facilities around the nation.

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins just requested the production of a watch list on Oct. 12. That day attendant Nina Pham tested positive for the ailment. Clinic authorities advised risk exposed medical specialists to quit seeing patients other than Pham. Yet the following day, the CDC permitted nurse, Amber Vinson, to get on a plane in Ohio and fly to Dallas with a slight fever. She was diagnosed with Ebola afterward, and CDC Chief Dr. Tom Frieden has admitted that she “should not have traveled on a commercial airline.” The county moved Louise Troh, her 13-year-old child, Duncan’s nephew, and a family companion from their home to a house in an undisclosed area under guard, where a health authority stops by twice a day and takes their temperatures. The uncommon containment request was forced after the family neglected to follow an appeal not to leave their residence, Jenkins said.

On Thursday, Jenkins declared stricter limitations that oblige medical staff members who had been conceivably exposed to stay far from the general population for 21 days and check their temperature twice a day, once supervised by a public health employee. It was the first order in written form anybody being checked has been asked to sign. They can walk their pooch, yet they can’t go to a chapel; they can’t go to schools; they can’t go to malls, to paraphrase Mr. Mike Rawlings, Dallas Mayor. Authorities say 125 families, medical caretakers, friends, rescue vehicle drivers and others may have been compromised in the days prior to Duncan passing on. From that point forward, the two nursing professionals have been infected and no less than 18 other individuals in Texas and Ohio have been recognized as auxiliary contacts that legitimately bear watching. From the start, the observing sounded moderately basic: find the contacts, screen them twice a day, keep temperature records and test individuals who exhibit signs of Ebola. State authorities would be in control, working with the CDC and Dallas County establishment.

The conflicting reaction by health authorities in checking and restricting the travel of medical specialists has been one of the major goofs in the Ebola flare-up. Loved ones who had contact with Duncan before he was hospitalized were kept home under armed watchmen, however nurses who took care of his infectious bodily fluids were permitted to treat unsuspecting patients, take public transportation and get on planes. “Please keep in mind the contact list is fluid, meaning people may fall off the list or new people may be added to the list depending on new information that could arise at any time on any given day,” said Dallas County spokesperson Erikka Neroes on Friday. This was her response when asked the number of individuals that are actually being observed.
Disease transmission specialists were advising the medical staffers of the instructions Friday, said Texas Department of State Health Services representative Carrie Williams. Anyhow, even those understandings permit some wiggle room. For instance, they say public transportation usage isn’t altogether banned yet “should be discussed with the public health authority.” For a period after Pham was diagnosed with Ebola, varied hospital specialists had distinctive levels of checking, determined to some degree on their hazard level. Some monitored their own temperatures. Some kept on caring for patients. These conflicts show why reactions are not being calmed as chaos over Ebola spreads. Hospital representative Wendell Watson on Saturday sent all inquiries concerning the facility’s checking practices to county authorities.

Pham and Vinson have been brought to facilities with special units in Maryland and Atlanta. There are four such medical centers in the U.S. At the National Institutes of Health medical facility in Bethesda, Maryland, representative Amanda Fine says staff included in administering to individuals with Ebola is given thermometers and guidelines and must measure and submit body temperatures twice every day. A representative, Mr. Taylor Wilson, for the Nebraska specialized unit, which has been treating Ebola patients, said that each time medical specialists go into the unit, they must stop and take their temperature and other vitals and then log the results. They are likewise encouraged to keep an eye open for symptoms. There are not any constraints of movement for staff outside of work, he added.

President Barack Obama met on Saturday with Cabinet officials and health and security advisors to be updated on Ebola cases and current status. Tracing, contacting and monitoring individuals who may have been exposed through contact with Ebola patients in Dallas, TX. President Obama has tried to squelch chaos from public reactions due to mistakes shown in Ebola handling. The meeting expanded to include steps required to be better prepared within our counties heath sector, the White House said.

By Oliver L. Malcom, Jr.

Photo By Oliver L. Malcom, Jr.

CNN News
Fox News

2 Responses to "Ebola Reaction Shows Chaos"

  1. TheBola   October 19, 2014 at 2:54 pm

    What We Know So Far About Ebola

  2. Ron   October 19, 2014 at 12:18 pm

    Cecil the Cursing Cat on Ebola —

You must be logged in to post a comment Login