If someone is adventurous, loves learning about new places, and enjoys meeting new people, they should explore the benefits of traveling the world alone. The world is a wonderful, beautiful, and diverse place, which beckons to be explored. Moreover, the experience of exploring the globe solo can be a unique undertaking unlike any other. Here are some benefits of traveling the world alone.
1. Building Self-Confidence–When a person travels to new places on their own, they discover their own inner strength and confidence. There is no one else to rely on or make decisions, so they are forced to trust their own instincts and judgment. It is a strength building exercise in many ways. It will make the explorer a more confident and secure individual, who is ready to tackle and overcome new challenges in all aspects of life.
2. Expanding One’s Horizons–A person should not be afraid to reach outside their comfort zone and explore new horizons. When traveling alone, an individual can expand their horizons and try new things without the judgment, interference, or expectations of others. It is a freeing experience and the possibilities are limitless.
3. Defy Expectations–When traveling solo, a person can meet new people and experience new things. When exploring with a spouse, friend, group, or significant other, there are certain expectations and/or limitations placed on their journeys. An individual would be expected to coordinate things with others. However, when someone travels on their own, the world is their oyster and they are free to be more flexible with their time, schedule, and resources. Simply put, explorers can defy expectations and branch out.
4. Meet New People–While there are many benefits associated with traveling the world alone, it can be a lonely experience at times. However, by exploring solo, a person is encouraged to meet new people, build new, potentially lasting connections, and forge new relationships. This experience will often carry over whether an individual is on the road or at home. These connections might be romantic, platonic, or a combination of both. Perhaps a person could meet someone who turns out to be a friend for life or a romantic partner who could be the love of their life. When an individual opens up to new experiences and expands their horizons, the outcome is often unknown and unexpected. However, it is important to be aware and proceed with caution, which raises an essential tip regarding safety for exploring the globe alone.
5. Trusting One’s Instincts--An invaluable benefit of traveling the world alone involves a person getting to know their surroundings and trust their instincts. Explorers should proceed with caution and follow general safety tips. Some of these safety tips include meeting with new people in public places and not in secluded areas, not telling strangers where someone is staying unless they are stranded and require help, and choosing who an individual might interact with when on their journey(s). The person exploring new frontiers should be the one who chooses who they interact with and on what basis. If someone unfamiliar tries to interact with an explorer aggressively or follows them around, these behaviors are major warning signs of possible trouble. The stranger might be targeting that individual as a mark or they could be unstable. Either way, these signs are things that explorers should be aware of and distance themselves from when encountered. Safety is an essential element in life, and particularly when traveling alone, it is an issue that should be addressed as a priority.
When traveling the world alone, an explorer reaps the benefits of getting to know their own self better and find their inner strength. It is a defining, growth experience that will shape a person and help make them more open-minded. It will teach explorers to build their self-confidence, trust their gut, as well as their own instincts. In fact, the experience of traveling alone and getting to know an individual’s inner self will help to hone their instincts. Such an experience can be life-altering and beneficial in a number of ways, some of which might be very rewarding and unexpected.
Written and Edited by Leigh Haugh
CNN–Five Joys of Traveling Solo
Huffington Post–Traveling Alone: 5 Stress-Relieving Benefits of Solo Journeys
Life Hack–12 Reasons You Should Travel Alone at Least Once in Your Life