Home-based job options have become a major employment and income source in this ever-increasing technological age. With the ever-expanding access to email and telecommunications platforms such as Skype, Google Hangouts, WebEx, etc., many individuals are seeking additional income streams or are eager to start their own businesses to support themselves and their families. Some of these job opportunities can be very rewarding and lucrative. Here are seven home-based job options to consider.
1. Translators–If someone is fluent in more than one language and has excellent communication skills, there are many opportunities for those individuals who possess such skills and have a desire to email, WebEx, etc.), are also a common prerequisite for employment.. Successful candidates usually have college degrees or some college education. Previous experience is often desired, but not required depending on the hiring company or agency. Computer and Internet access, as well as telecommunication accounts (e.g. Skype,
2. Tutoring–Tutors are usually very well-paid and in extraordinary demand. Moreover, many tutors can work remotely, thanks to telecommunication devices and platforms. In this technological age, tutors are able to hold classroom sessions and discussions, share documents, as well as communicate with students, parents, and/or advisors without leaving the comfort of their homes.
3. Information Technology Skills and Services–Trained and experienced IT people can always find employment, especially in this tech-driven society. Work from home job opportunities are available in numerous areas with both large and small-scale companies all over the world.
4. Freelance Writing and/or Editing–If a person has experience as a writer, editor, designer, or photographer, there are a variety of home-based job opportunities available with companies and agencies all over the globe. Many online publications even offer training programs for interested parties. Freelance work offers a flexible schedule and the only requirements are a computer, creativity, and Internet access. Moreover, thanks to telecommunication devices and platforms such as WebEx, Google Hangouts, Skype, etc., most business interfacing and exchanges can be handled remotely. Whether it is home-based or a traveling office, the technology available allows users to stay connected.
5. Online Customer Service–Many large-scale companies and government agencies are recruiting volumes of remote agents to handle inbound and outbound customer calls, as well as various service issues from their homes or other remote locations. Virtual customer service agents can make a good living and many of these positions include bonuses and other incentive packages.
6. e-Commerce–e-commerce sites, including Amazon, eBay, and Etsy, have exploded in terms of popularity and profit margins. These sites have provided many individuals and/or businesses the opportunity to sell their goods and services online. Other sites, such as Craigslist, have also provided similar opportunities, particularly on the local and regional levels.
7. Medical Billing and Coding–This home-based job enterprise has shown explosive growth over the last decade. Many medical offices are now outsourcing their billing databases, record keeping, and so remote workers are needed to handle the load. Moreover, a number of online courses are currently offered to help certify individuals to work from home in this specific industry.
As home-based job options are becoming more popular and in demand, many individuals are eager to take advantage of the numerous work from home job opportunities available in this technological age. Whether an individual wants to start their own business or they are seeking another income stream to support themselves or their family, many of these home-based job options can be very rewarding and lucrative. Hopefully, some of the home-based job options mentioned in this article will inspire others to pursue work from home opportunities they never dared to dream possible.
Written and Edited by Leigh Haugh
Forbes–Work From Home: The Top 100 Companies Offering Telecommuting Jobs in 2015
ABC News–Five Best Work From Home Jobs
About.com–Work-at-Home Jobs Company Directory
Top Article Image Courtesy of Lasse Rintakumpu’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License
Featured Image Courtesy of Alejandro Pinto’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License