Don't like to read?
Exercise and fitness are key ingredients to life for all individuals. Whether it is viewed as an outlet, escape, or chore, how one interprets fitness is in the eye of the beholder. No matter what perspective an individual holds, it is always best to keep exercise fun and interesting. There are a number of ways to keep an exercise routine fresh and exciting. Here are 10 exercise tips for keeping fitness fun.
- Outdoor Fitness Options–Outdoor activities, such as yard work and/or snow shoveling, are beneficial on many levels and can really reinvigorate an exercise regime. However, it is important to be cautious when performing such tasks in order to avoid medical crises and/or physical injury.
- Mix It Up With Music–Music motivates and helps people relax while doing physical activities. Moreover, it makes the time go by and encourages people to move in rhythm to the pleasant distraction.
- Change It Up–It is always a good idea to change-up an exercise routine every now and then. Incorporate some cardio along with nautilus and/or weight training. Moreover, it is also beneficial to alternate between low and high-impact fitness routines.
- Walk It Off–Walking is a full body and fun form of fitness. It incorporates cardio, weight-bearing, and muscle strengthening forms of exercise. Moreover, it is an easy form of exercise to indulge in on a daily basis and can also help you get from Point A to Point B in the process.
- Fitness With Fido–Getting a dog involved in active time is always a good idea. It is beneficial for both the person as well as the pooch. Dogs are not only great companions but also terrific fitness buddies. They help keep a person entertained, moving, and motivated.
- Try New Forms of Exercise–Give yoga or Pilates a try, check out a spin class, or try workout DVDs at home.
- Explore Local Fitness Options–Check out options at the local community center or YMCA/YWCA for available exercise classes. Additionally, a membership to the YMCA usually includes access to nautilus machines, swimming pools, yoga classes, sauna, steam room, and many other amenities. Moreover, many insurance companies now offer coverage for fitness memberships so there is little or no out-of-pocket expense involved. Furthermore, certain facilities even offer scholarships and/or payment plans for income-eligible members.
- Fun Fitness at Home–If a person cannot afford a gym membership or is not covered by insurance, there are many ways to exercise at home. Invest some money in home workout DVDs and equipment, use the stairs for cardio, or make homemade weights out of old juice or milk containers.
- Multitasking–Combine other activities with exercise. Try power walking while shopping, use ankle and/or wrist weights while walking, or rucksacking while walking/hiking. Incorporate fitness into daily activities whenever possible to keep things fresh.
- Buddy System–Invite a friend, family member, or colleague to join in on the fitness regime. Companionship can prove to be a great source of motivation.
No matter what perspective a person has on exercise, fitness is an essential ingredient to life for all individuals. It is also important to keep exercise fun and interesting. Whether it is viewed as an escape or chore, fitness is in the eye of the beholder. There are a number of ways to keep an exercise routine fresh and exciting. It is important to try new things and change it up every so often. Make developing new fitness routines and life perspectives part of the challenge. Another benefit of fitness and exercise is that it fosters a sound mind-body dynamic, which is crucial on so many levels. Keeping fitness fun and interesting is the key to incorporating exercise as a lifelong habit, as well as instilling discipline and achieving goals. These 10 tips will hopefully help others find the fun in fitness and exercise.
By Leigh Haugh
Other Articles by This Author: