Don't like to read?
Green tea is considered one of the healthiest beverages available on the market. It is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants that can benefit the human body in many ways. This beverage has been linked to blood sugar control, improved brain function, fat loss, reduced risk of cancer, and many other health benefits. Here are some of the health benefits of green tea consumption.
1. Compounds in Green Tea Can Improve Brain Function–One of the key active ingredient in green tea is caffeine, which is a well-known stimulant. However, this beverage does not contain as much caffeine as coffee does. Nonetheless, green tea does have enough caffeine to help keep you alert and focused. Caffeine acts as a binding agent and blocks an inhibitory hormone in the brain called Adenosine. As a result, there is an increase in the concentration of neurotransmitters, such as norepinephrine and dopamine, as well as the firing of neurons. Moreover, caffeine has also been linked to improved mood, reaction time, memory, and vigilance.
2. Green Tea Boosts Fat Loss and Physical Performance–Green tea is often found among the ingredients in fat burning supplements. This is because the beverage has been shown to boost metabolic rate. This, in turn, increases the body’s ability to burn fat. Moreover, caffeine itself has also been linked to improved physical performance via mobilizing fatty acids from the fat (adipose) tissues and converting them into energy.
3. Green Tea Could Reduce the Risk of Type II Diabetes–Type II diabetes has reached epidemic proportions and now affects over 300 million people worldwide. This disease develops as a result of insulin resistance and elevated blood sugar levels. Those individuals affected by type II diabetes have impaired insulin production. Green tea has been linked to improved insulin sensitivity and reduced blood sugar levels. Moreover, it has been suggested that the beverage may also reduce the risk of developing type II diabetes in later life.
4. Antioxidants in Green Tea Could Help Combat Cancer–It is common knowledge that cancer results from an uncontrolled growth of cells. Moreover, cancer exists in many forms and is one of the world’s leading causes of death. It is also well-known that oxidative damage can result in the development of various forms of cancer. However, antioxidants can help prevent as well as reverse oxidative damage experienced over time. Green tea is an excellent source of antioxidants. Therefore, it can be a powerful weapon in combating cancer.
5. Green Tea Can Kill Off Bacteria and Improve Overall Health–The catechins, which are bioactive compounds and powerful antioxidants, in green tea has been effective in killing off bacteria as well as certain viruses. As a result, green tea drinkers tend to have a reduced risk of infections and better dental health (e.g. fewer cavities, reduced gum disease, and better breath). This leads to overall better health in many individuals.
Green tea is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants that can benefit the body in many ways. The consumption of this beverage has been linked to blood sugar control, improved brain function, fat loss, reduced risk of cancer, and many other health benefits. There are many health benefits associated with green tea consumption. However, it is important to realize that not all individuals will experience the same effects or benefits. It depends upon the individual involved and their overall general health.
Written and Edited By Leigh Haugh
Medical News Today–Green Tea: Health Benefits and Risks
WebMD–Health Benefits of Green Tea
Harvard Health Publications–Benefit of Drinking Green Tea