Don't like to read?
When planning a special, life-changing event such as a wedding day, there are certain expectations or protocols that should be adhered to. However, it is also important to keep the special day as fun and frugal as possible. Given the current economic climate, these considerations are especially important. These are suggestions and recommendations to help make a wedding day go smoothly. A listing of wedding dos and things to avoid that will help the nuptials go off without a hitch. Here are 10 tips about wedding dos and things to avoid when planning a fun and frugal special event.
- Homemade Wedding Favors–If a couple creates their own favors, they can add a personal touch and save money at the same time. Edible items are very popular nuptials favors. Moreover, decorative bags or boxes for the favors add an extra touch of class, especially if they are also homemade. For non-edible items, consider giving the guests disposable cameras to take pics of the event. Some guests will keep the cameras and photos while others will donate their pics to a wedding scrapbook project.
- Invitations and Save-the-Date Cards From the Heart–Consider trying a DIY kit or crafting invites on a computer. Many couples are even doing invites via email and Google Drive these days. Thus, eliminating the costs of high-end stationery and postage entirely.
- Keep It Intimate–In this economy, it is important to economize and prioritize. While it is important to have those who matter most present for the special day, it is not necessary to invite every relative, friend, or co-worker. Consider who truly matters most and make sure they are on the invite list. This process can be simplified if the couple does their own invites and other related wedding correspondence.
- Set Up a Gift Registry–Registering for gifts is a good thing for everyone. When gift buyers are steered to the things a couple actually needs and wants, it saves everyone time, effort, and money. However, it is important to note that the registry information does not belong on the invitation. Many might wonder why this is the case. Simply put, wedding gifts are never mandatory, although the vast majority of attendees will naturally honor the couple with gifts. The best way to spread the word about the gift registry is via word of mouth on the part of the families and wedding party, email or snail mail updates, or via bridal shower invites.
- Keep Things on Schedule and Moving–When planning the special event, it is important to keep things on schedule and moving. It can be challenging to plan the schedule for such an event, especially if the reception and ceremony times or locations do not line up. However, it is important to make every attempt to lessen the stress and inconvenience of the day for the guests, as well as the couple and wedding party. If a couple finds a to-die-for church or event venue, they should confine their search for reception locales to local spots. Whenever possible, it is best to find a venue which will accommodate both the ceremony and reception. However, if that is not possible or a time gap cannot be avoided, provide transportation and/or a comfortable spot for guests, as well as the wedding party, to relax while they wait.
Now that the wedding dos have been addressed, it is time to consider things to avoid while planning such an event. Here are some tips about things to avoid when planning a fun and frugal wedding.
Things to Avoid When Wedding Planning:
- Do Not Have Cash Bar–Making guests pay for their own drinks can be awkward and create ill will. However, the newlyweds do not have to go bankrupt over the bar tab either. Select a signature drink for the event or go with beer and wine options. Maybe have an open bar only during the cocktail hour and serve wine or champagne at dinner. A wedding planner or caterer can be very helpful in this regard. They can help narrow down the options and keep things on a budget.
- Do Not Turn Into Bridezilla–Getting married and planning the nuptials can be very stressful and time-consuming. Of course, it depends on the size of the event they are planning and whether or not they are dieting in order to lose some weight before the big event. Nonetheless, it is a major life change and that inevitably causes stress. However, it is important not to allow the stress to win out and frustration over weight loss or gain to rule the day. A wedding day should be a celebration and full of good cheer. Therefore, the Bride of Frankenstein and Bridezilla need to stay at bay for the special day.
- Do Not Be Afraid to Delegate–It is so important for the couple to surround themselves with people they can trust and depend on to help out. Do not be afraid to lean on others and let friends and/or family help carry the load. There are so many tasks and challenges involved in planning such an event, so do not be afraid to delegate.
- Do Not DIY the Catering–Catering any large-scale, personal event is a huge undertaking, even for a Gordon Ramsey wannabe. There are so many things to handle on the special day. In addition to all the other responsibilities involved with the day, trying to get enough food together for everyone and keep it hot is way too much on the soon-to-wed’s plate. Find a trained and experienced caterer to make it happen. They do it for a living and have the support staff to serve everyone in a timely manner.
- Do Not Attempt to Handle the Music–While it might be tempting to rock out to a couple’s favorite tunes, it is important to consider what everyone else at the event would like. Whether a couple opts for a live band or DJ, music pros are trained to read the dance floor. They can speed it up or slow it down so that the guests and wedding party are entertained.
Weddings are a special occasion and life-changing event. While a couple wants their special day to reflect their own desires as well as incorporate input from others who matter most, it is important to keep the event as fun and frugal as possible. As such, the suggestions and recommendations in this article are intended to make the wedding day go smoothly. Hopefully, this listing of tips about wedding planning dos as well as things to avoid will help keep the nuptials fun and frugal so that everything goes off without a hitch while getting hitched.
Opinion Written and Edited By Leigh Haugh
Bridal Guide–Top 10 Wedding Mistakes to Avoid
The Knot–The Dos and Don’ts of DIY Wedding Ideas
Brides–The 10 Biggest Wedding Etiquette Don’ts
Featured Image Courtesy of WikiMedia Commons – Creative Commons License